Thursday, July 16, 2020

AND.

I hear pediatricians, psychologists, parents, and politicians say that children absolutely must return to school. And I agree.

I hear pediatricians, psychologists, parents, and politicians say that children absolutely must be safe, even if it means not returning to school. And I agree.


I hear experts and historians say that statues must come down. And I agree.

I hear experts and historians say that we must preserve our history. And I agree.


I hear civil libertarians argue that we must be vigilant about the government infringes on individual rights. And I agree.

I hear health advocates argue that we must be aware that our actions may infringe on someone's right to life. And I agree.

I hear social activists say Black Lives Matter. And I agree.
I hear police advocates say Blue Lives Matter. And I agree.
I hear reactionaries say All Lives Matter. And I agree. 


I saw a meme recently with a "Republican" column and a "Democrat" column and a list of polar opposites for each. And I don't agree.


In logic it's called a false dichotomy.
In Christianity it is the union of the Now and Not Yet of God's Kingdom.
In our lived experience it's called real life.

Two things can be true at the same time.

Two things are true at the same time. AND. Not OR.

OR divides us in the face of ambiguity.
AND unites us in solving wicked problems.

OR creates winners and losers.
AND recognizes that we win or lose together.

I choose AND. 

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard the song “And” by Waterdeep? This makes me think of that song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that song...and most of what Waterdeep put out back in the day.

      Delete