Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Further Conversation on the Interpretation of Scripture - Pt.1

Last month Rev. Dr. Donald Haynes wrote an article suggesting that Scripture does not categorically classify homosexuality as sinful. Rev. Thomas Lambrecht of Good News wrote a two part rebuttal. I encourage you to read both as they are good primers on some of the basic arguments for and against full inclusion for LGBTQ individuals, particularly in the United Methodist Church. I don't think either necessarily advances the case for or against beyond more basic understandings. Dr. Haynes suggestions are standard and Rev. Lambrecht's replies are predictable. In hope to stimulate further conversation, I'd like to reply specifically to Rev. Lambrecht's critique point by point. Lambrecht says Haynes is guilty of:

  1. Misclassifying certain verses and/or lumping unlike verses together into a category that can be disregarded.
Lambrecht reminds us that Haynes classifies the Levitical prohibitions against homosexuality as cultural instead of universal (comparing them to laws against eating pork instead of laws like loving others as we love ourselves.) He correctly points out that our United Methodist tradition, and indeed most of Western Christianity, categorizes those ancient laws as ritual, civil, and moral. Ritual and civil laws are intended for a time but moral laws are intended to be universal. He then says, "It is plain that laws related to sexuality are not ceremonial or governmental in nature, but moral." 

It is important to note that the distinction that we (and John Wesley before us) make regarding which laws fall into which categories is not entirely clear. One would be wise to proceed with caution at the "It is obvious that..." argument. What is "obvious" to one group or person may not be so obvious to another. For example, Levirate marriage is proscribed in Deuteronomy 25. Today we understand it as a civil law that ensured continuity of the family line and mechanisms for inheritance. But at the time, Levirate marriage would have been seen as a moral imperative. A brother must accept responsibility for his deceased brother's family! Similarly, at the time Leviticus was written one could argue that common sense said that it is a man's moral duty to marry a woman and reproduce so that we can fill the country with people for defense and prosperity. Today the land is pretty well filled with people and common sense (or at least a majority of people in the U.S.) would say that what happens in a person's bedroom stays in the bedroom.

Could the Levitical texts against homosexuality be moral laws that apply still today? Yes, they could. But there is nothing in Leviticus or elsewhere that demands that the answer is yes. 



  1. Misinterpreting and misapplying the biblical and cultural context to nullify the teaching in question.
Here Lambrecht is specifically concerned with how Haynes treats Romans 1. Haynes argues that Romans 1 is likely referring to temple prostitution and Lambrecht disagrees. I disagree with Haynes, too. Lambrecht correctly points out that the entire list of sins in Romans 1 is "a result of idolatry, rather than an expression of idolatry." Homosexuality is listed alongside "envy, murder, strife, deceit, craftiness, [gossips], slanderers, etc." I know a number of "practicing homosexuals." They are not perfect people. But they are also not people to whom I would attribute these characteristics. Matthew Vines and others argue that the entire list of sins depends on our understanding of the word translated as "lust" in v. 24 and 26. Because there was no concept of sexual orientation, a person who desired same-sex relations had excessive (lustful) desire. Thus Paul's teaching is not about homosexuality as a sin; it is about idolatry as a sin - desiring anything (or lusting for anything) above God.

I'll end this post here as Lambrecht did with his and continue with additional points later. But first, one more important note on Romans. Too often we end our reading with Romans 1 instead of continuing as Paul does with Romans 2:1. "Therefore you have no excuse, whoever you are, when you judge others; for in passing judgement on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, are doing the very same things." If we look carefully, we can all find ourselves in the list of sins that Paul lays out in Romans 1. At the very least may we speak and judge carefully, knowing that we are all doing our best and falling short at the same time.

3 comments:

  1. David,

    First, I appreciate your thoughtful and cautious approach to this topic. As I read through your post, there are a few questions that come to mind:

    1. If a particular beahavior is a "result" of idolatry rather than an "expression" of idolatry, does that then mean that behavior is no longer sinful? Could we then say that Paul's teaching is not about murder being a sin?

    2. Certainly none of us are perfect people and we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. I, for one, struggle with envy on a daily basis. Should I then be excluded from the Church? Certainly not. But extending grace to sinners is altogether different than accepting and embracing sin. To put it another way, if we are going to pull homosexuality out of the list, why not do the same with envy? Many of the same arguments apply. Some people are simply genetically coded to be envious, while others are not. My envious thoughts don't harm anyone else. My envy does not threaten your contentment in any way. So rather than feel bad about myself for constantly envying the lives and possessions of those around me, I think I should be able to embrace my envy as an expression of who I am. I think the Church should stop preaching against envy and just welcome me with open arms and stop trying to "cure" my envy.

    But the thing is, Jesus didn't seem to operate like that. In John 8, he extends grace to a woman caught in adultery, but in the next breath, he tells her to "go and sin no more." He didn't ok her sin. He didn't advocate leaving what happened in that bedroom in the bedroom. He called her to aspire to a higher standard. So as Christ-followers, shouldn't we do likewise?

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eric. Let me reply briefly.

    You're correct about something still being a sin regardless of whether it is a result or an expression of idolatry. I should have been clearer that this was a direct refutation of Haynes and some others who want to say that Paul is specifically referring to temple prostitution. As an advocate for LGBT individuals I'd love to be able to agree with that and say that since we don't have temple prostitutes today everybody is off the hook, but I don't think that's intellectually or scripturally honest. Paul, I think, really is talking about same-sex acts as he knows them. What you'll see in part 2 (when I have a chance to finish it!) is that I'm convinced that Paul is not referring to two women or two men who are living in a committed, monogamous relationship. A relationship like that is entirely different from a lustful or excessive sexual desire that I believe is what Paul had in mind.

    Your second question is important for more than one reason. First, I absolutely agree with you both that grace should be extended to all regardless of their particular sin(s) and that extending grace does not equate with an "I'm OK, you're OK" theology. Unfortunately there are churches that have excluded people because of their sexuality. Second, there is a language issue here that is particularly important in the United Methodist Church. Officially, we say that it's OK to be gay (orientation) but it's not OK to act on it (self-avowed, practicing homosexual is our language for that.) I think I'm hearing you make the same distinction as you compare it to envy. It's one thing to struggle with envy, it's another to give in to it. And, in fact, I distinctly remember making that argument myself in a conversation about eight years ago. There are a couple important differences, though, that are part of why I've changed my mind. First, there are times like in the Sermon on the Mount when Jesus says that what is in our hearts is as important as the actions we take. Second, our sexuality is not something we can simply set aside. In this very moment I am heterosexual. I don't stop being that way even though I am not at this very moment engaging in a sexual act. This is part of why the "hate the sin, love the sinner" approach often sounds offensive to LGBT people. But, third, I will concede that if what we are talking about is a sin then the proper response is "go and sin no more." After years of thought, prayer, and reading I've changed my opinion about whether or not it is a sin. When I get the next post done you'll see a couple reasons why I think differently now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete